Los Angeles Public Library Resources
Los Angeles Public Library is offering E-Cards that allow access to all of their online resources. https://www.lapl.org/
Once you have a card, check out all of their homework help resources, especially their live online tutoring, at https://www.lapl.org/kids/homework-help
- Ducksters — Informative yet simplified information for kids about various topics.
- Britannica Kids — A searchable online encyclopedia for kids.
- Britannica Fundamental - For preschool - 2nd grade, this is a fun interactive learning tool by Britannica Encyclopedia.
- Brainpop — Fun explanations and videos on language, math, science, social studies, engineering & tech, health, and arts & music.
- Bitesize — A browsable website for kids featuring topics in Science, Math, and Literacy.
- CREDO LibGuides. This amazing guide functions like an encyclopedia arranged by topic.
- Science Spots Kid's Zone — A large collection of websites about plants and animals for kids.
- Kids Astronomy — Learn about our solar system, the universe, and space exploration.
- Earth Science — All the basics about geology, food and water cycles, atmosphere, weather, biomes, ecosystems, environment, and energy are explained in this great website for kids.
- Periodic Table — An interactive periodic table of the elements.
- Chemistry for Kids — Various topics in chemistry— such as atoms, states of matter, and famous chemists — are explained in this informative website.
- Biography.com — Over 7,000 biographies searchable by name, subject, and time period
- Social Studies Fact Cards — A great resource for information on these topics: Indians, Explorers, Missions, Mission Life, Ranchos, Governors, and History by Decade.
- CIA's World Fact Book — For older Children, this website provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, and military for 267 countries.
- BBC Primary History — Browse the historical topics provided or use the search tool for a specific event in history.
- Ben's Guide to the U.S. Government — Learn about the branches of government, laws, and elections with this website for kids.
- Mr. Nussbaums's Learning & Fun — A comprehensive history of the United States from 1492 - 1898.
- Great Minds Math for Parents — Need help with how to explain the new Common Core methods of basic math to your child? Try this site.
- Khan Academy — Math tutorials from the baisc math through college level math.
- Soft Schools — Great site for math worksheets that you can customize for extra practice.
- Calculator — This site offers basic calculators, graphing calculators, calculators that convert measurements and more.
- Math is Fun — Basic explanations of math concepts from counting and money to college algebra.
- Starfall — Great site for beginning readers with a focus on letters and phonics.
- Education Place — Grammar games, writing evaluations that help develop your writing, and author pages make this website a great resource for writing assignments. ( Use the links at the bottom of the page labeled: Bright Ideas for Writing, Grammar Blast, Evaluation Station, etc.)
- Info Please - Language Arts Homework Center—Everything you need to know about Grammar, Spelling, Literature, and Poetry in a simple, easy to understand website.
- Goodreads — Looking for a great book to read? Try Goodreads.
- StoryBlocks — Rhymes and songs in English, Spanish, French, Vietnamese, and Arabic that are great for bilingual children and those learning another language.
- Digital Dialects — Basic words, phrases, and games in over 70 languages that are perfect for kids.
- Hello-World — Lessons for all ages in over 20 languages.
- Kids Health — Use this site for homework as well as fun learning about the human body, staying safe, eat-right recipes, and feelings.
- DK Findout! — The systems of the human body are explained in this simple, easy to navigate website.
- Bam! — The main page provides kids with fun games and activities about health while the search option allows older students to do more serious research.
For more great websites, broken down by subject, check out Great Websites For Kids.